Friday, April 29, 2016

Poltergeist (1982) – A Cautionary Tale Regarding the Dangers of TV

This movie was very silly, and it really has nothing to do with poltergeists, does it? It’s more of a haunting, followed by the onset of a zombie apocalypse, right? I mean, there’s an angsty adolescent girl, but she’s not around for most of it, and her angst has nothing to do with the events. By the end we’re given to understand it’s the angry dead people wreaking havoc.

Things that were good:
  1.  Learning that TV stations used to broadcast the national anthem before going off the air for the evening. I was born in 1979. I have no recollection of this.
  2. Kids seeing things the grown ups can't. This compounded by kids conscious and wandering the house or talking to blank TV screens while they’re supposed to be sleeping is a nice little stress builder for all the parents in the viewership.
  3. A guy’s face rotting and him peeling it off. Okay, I looked away, and my husband told me when it was over, but the idea was cool. And gross. And the maggots. And that he set the meat directly on the countertop instead of on a cutting board. Horrifying cross-contamination of surfaces. Gross. So much horror here. (That one wasn’t very smooth, was it?)
  4. The clown appearing out of nowhere and dragging a kid out of bed. Kid could take him though. Kid for the win. By the way, did you guys know Oliver Robins almost died for realz in that scene? The puppet ACTUALLY tried to choke him. Read about it in the “Did you know” triviasection on his IMDB page.
  5. The giant yawning esophagus of hell. That looked like an expensive effect.


Things that were horrible:
  1. Was that wasted beer in the RC car scene? Moment of silence. (Too non sequitur? Sorry.)
  2. A tornado in Los Angeles? What?
  3. The mother’s inadequate reaction to her daughter’s disappearance. If it were me, I wouldn’t sleep for days, and my fingers would probably be bloody from clawing at the floors/walls of the closet, and from the first moment I hear that kid’s voice through the TV, I’d never turn it off. So sitting across the table from the paranormal investigator and being all affectionate with my hubby wouldn’t happen. I get that they’re trying to communicate how dulled the family’s become to the paranormal, and, yeah, that might eventually happen, but I don’t think you get dulled toward the absence of your child. They’d probably have to put me in the loony bin. She does finally almost earn mama-bear points when the giant skeleton-y goo monster is blocking her way to the kids’ room, and she’s all, “Leave my kids alone,” or whatever she screams. I kinda wanted her to grab it by its gooey little face and toss it's Satanic ass down the stairs so she could go save her kids. But she fell down the stairs instead. Let down.
  4. The lack of respect toward the medium. Hey, 1982, you’re not allowed to laugh at people because the look or sound different. That was played like a gag, and it made me hate Coach for playing along.
  5. Coach’s not-really-trying-too-hard effort to get his wife and daughter to breathe after they fall through the purgatory portal. Didn't they have CPR in 1982? And what is that, cherry Jello? Is that supposed to be some kind of Satanic special sauce or something? Maybe you should wipe it away from their noses and mouths, clear the airways, check for a pulse, and perhaps begin rescue breathing.
  6. The choreography of the esophagus scene. “Son, grab your sister’s hand—but only by the tips of her fingers! For God’s sake, don’t get a decent grip on, like, her wrist or something! Okay! I’m going to pull, and you two, just kind of stumble-walk out of the room.” Stellar work there, Mr. Spielberg. The time and money went to the esophagus, huh?
  7. Skeletons popping up everywhere. That was utterly silly. I mean, side-clenching WTF silly. Was it scary by 1982 standards? Furthermore, this whole section seemed like an add-on. Like the family is safe, they’re moving, and Shit, this film is too short. Okay, we’ll make them stay there one more night. But we already said they’ be staying at the Holiday Inn. We don’t have the time or money to reshoot that scene, so let’s hope no one noticed that. Oh, look, Mr. Spielberg. More money. Should we reshoot that scene now? Nah, let's just spend it making all hell break loose.
  8. That it’s called “poltergeist” and it’s not about poltergeists. It’s like recording a biography of Ice Cube and naming it after Dr. Dre instead. Swing and a miss. Kinda like this blog/review.



Poltergeist. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1982. DVD.

5 comments:

  1. Kristin, you are too young to be this MEAN towards Poltergeist! Yes, there are tornadoes in California all the time. And yes, they did play Tangina's appearance for laughs, but honestly, it wasn't her appearance so much as her voice. I admit I giggled the first time I heard it, but the actor took control and made everyone give her some respect, so that was alright. And YES, skeletons popping out of the water and out of the ground was scary! Admit it - you would freak if that happened on your street too.
    And what you called the "esophagus scene" I always called the "big, scary vagina scene."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I totally agree with both the good and the bad! So we know that the skeletons played like a bad, very bad afterthought! I so agree that the meat, maggots, and peeling face was not only gross, but for me, out of context?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Satanic Special Sauce - that should be your metal band name. I like it.
    I've seen this movie so many time that the silly is just part of the package for me, and I love it. Except for the closets and the clowns. I don't love those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin, I liked the lists....it really made reading a breeze and easy. I agree with 90 percent of your lists, however...I didn't like the rotting face thing...that's about all I disagree with. It didn't scare me, but it just seemed out of place for some reason. I was born in 77, but I do remember the National Anthem at night. Great write up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some thoughts on your blog:
    -It's in list form. I love lists! I even wrote my reply as a list!
    -I love that you refer to CTN's character as "Coach." I did that too. CTN will never be anything other than Coach to me.
    -I saw the implicit message about TV as well. I don't remember the national anthem on TV either, though I wonder if its inclusion wasn't a more explicit way to link the problems in the Coach family to the decay of the country under the weight of crap 70s/80s TV.
    -My only point of contention was the corpse missiles in the final scene. I admit that maybe my appreciation of them comes from watching this movie when I was WAY too young. Perhaps I remain traumatized to this day, but I can't imagine the movie without them.
    -Also, why did the ghosts only attack the Coach family's house? Why wasn't all of LA confused/terrified by the bizzare weather patterns around this one house? Shouldn't a meteorologist have taken note.
    -I also wanted to note that a tree coming to life and kidnapping Coach Jr. was pretty dumb. I mean, this is the best the ghosts could do, having a tree eat the kid?

    ReplyDelete